Re: [SLE] File/Directory Permissions.
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 01:56:30 +0200 (CEST)

The Thursday 2005-07-28 at 08:58 -0500, Jay Paulson wrote:

> That helps a ton. I did not know that's what X meant for a directory. I'm
> assuming then that when you have "s" (chmod g+s) so you get a permission of
> drwxrwsr-- all the sub directories and files that are created will get the
> same permissions and be accessible to other users in the group?

The info page says about the group "s" bit (point 2 below):

File: coreutils.info, Node: Mode Structure

26.1 Structure of File Permissions
==================================

1. set the process's effective user ID to that of the file upon
execution (called the "setuid bit"). No effect on directories.

2. set the process's effective group ID to that of the file upon
execution (called the "setgid bit"). For directories on some
systems, put files created in the directory into the same group as
the directory, no matter what group the user who creates them is
in.

3. save the program's text image on the swap device so it will load
more quickly when run (called the "sticky bit"). For directories
on some systems, prevent users from removing or renaming a file in
a directory unless they own the file or the directory; this is
called the "restricted deletion flag" for the directory.

It doesn't say what you thought.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson