Package Recovery
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 21:37:02 -0800
Every time I have to recover my old 8.1 system from backup, I have to go
back out to the web and pull down a large number of updates. Recently, I
trashed it when I was trying to create a disaster recovery backup so I could
move up to the latest SuSE version. There are over 60 package updates out
there that I now have to pull down, mostly security related. Some time over
the past 2 /12 years, there were two YOU package updates. It seems like
lots of things (maybe everything) that were patched after those updates are
not recoverable from a YAST backup (at least I think that's the cause of
this). I'm wondering if there's a way to backup ALL of my packages
separately so that I can recover them from that backup after I recover my
system itself. That would sure save me a lot of time and effort in my
recovery process. I may very well trash this thing again before I get this
disaster recovery process in place and I will want to test that recovery
before I move on to a later version, so I could very well trash it then. I
looked into some of the RPM commands, but didn't find one to back up
packages. I would think there would be a way to do that built right into
RPM (but maybe I'm wrong). Packages SEEM to be spread out through multiple
directories instead of all being in one single location (isn't that true?).
If (when) I hose myself again, I would like for the recovery to be a little
less painful. Any help appreciated.

Greg Wallace
< Previous Next >