RE: [SLE] Package Recovery
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 22:49:04 -0800

On Tuesday, May 03, 2005 4:54 AM Bruce Marshall wrote:
>On Tuesday 03 May 2005 01:37 am, Greg Wallace wrote:
>> Every time I have to recover my old 8.1 system from backup, I have to go
>> back out to the web and pull down a large number of updates. Recently, I
>> trashed it when I was trying to create a disaster recovery backup so I
><big snip>

>You should be able to run your current packages off to a CD or other
>location.

>I don't do that but I do use the packages on one machine to update
>others....

>Here's the script I use:

>#!/bin/sh
>rsync -auvzr -e ssh
><mastermachn>:/var/lib/YaST2/you/mnt/i386/update/9.2/
/usr/local/update/i386/update/9.2/

>(note, there are two lines to the above script... watchout for folding in

>your email program)

>The thing to note above are the directory structures. <mastermachn> is
the
>machine that gets updated from SuSE sites directly.
>The /var/lib/YaST2........... structure is where the packages are kept
(along with a lot of info about the updates)

>By copying that structure and its files to another machine, using
>the /usr/local/update/...... structure, I can point YOU to the copied
>structure using the "user defined" update site and can then update another

>machine without any more downloading of packages.

>Questions?

Bruce:
Looks like my downloads are going to the following directory --
/var/lib/YaST2/you/discontinued/i386/update

There are 3 directories under that directory --

1) patches -- lots of files. Many have today's date.
2) rpm -- contains 3 directories, i586, noarch, and i686. i686 has one
file, the other directories contain lots of files. Many of these files
contain today's date.
3) scripts -- contains one file, rpmupdate-postscript.sh

I'm still trying to get the patches back to my machine and installed. Every
time I try, at least one patch has a signature error and the update fails.
This last time, only the adminguide failed to download. If at least one
package fails to download, none of them are installed. I'm going to try
tomorrow and leave that one package out (I think I can safely put everything
else in and not have any dependency failures). Then, all of these should
automatically install.
Looks like that download put things into all of the above 3 named
places. Do I need what's in all of these directories? The next question --
how would I install all of these patches manually, without running YOU.
Would running the rpmupdate-postscript script in the scripts folder install
them all?

Thanks,
Greg Wallace