Re: [SLE] Excellent 9.3 Review
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 09:43:53 -0400
It all sounds good, I'll be upgrading.

Now I just wish SuSE still had a live CD. With 9.2, I installed it on
a couple of work machines permanently, but an awfull lot of what I do
is using standard Linux tools controlled by shell scripts to work with
temporarily attached drives.

(A simple example is making a dd image file of a clients disk drive,
then running md5sum on the original drive and the imagefile. This is
the first step in a Computer Forensic examination and I did it a
hundred or so times in the last year.)

Currently the company has another half dozen machines that have only
Windows installed, but when "I" use them I boot the 9.2 LiveCD and
just run my scripts from a thumb drive. I also occasionally boot the
LiveCD directly on the clients computer.

So to use 9.3 on the office I will either have to setup a Linux boot
partition or quit using those machines. :(

And in client machines, I will not be able to use 9.3 at all. :(

PS: I assume that 9.3 has a boot cd with rescue mode, but I need a
solution that is designed NOT to modify the standard disks, but
instead defaults to read-only use of the system.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group