Re: [SLE] No sound from VMWare on SUSE 9.1
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 16:39:29 +0200
On Thursday 05 May 2005 16:33, Preston Crawford wrote:
> As long as VMWare tools are installed I've had no trouble with sound and
> VMWare 4.5.2 under SuSE 9.2. The key thing, I've found, is that if you
> use Gnome and startup using the sound server or you're playing music or
> something in the host OS, then the guest OS can't share the sound device
> and thus sound won't work. Turn off the app hogging /dev/dsp (in my
> case), such as Gaim or XMMS and the guest OS sound works.
>
> That's been my experience.

That depends on which sound card you have. If you have a card capable of
handling multiple threads, such SBLive! or newer, it should work anyway.

For other cards, if you start the program with

esddsp <program name>

for gnome, or

artsdsp <program name>

if you're running KDE, and the sound output will be routed through the sound
daemon and you should get nice multiplexed sound from multiple applications

< Previous Next >