Re: [SLE] install failure on dell precision
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 18:59:52 +0200
On Thursday 05 May 2005 18:43, David Bear wrote:
> I didn't capture all the info on the panic, but it couldn't see
> anything that looked strange.

A kernel panic is strange by definition.

If you don't know how to read a kernel panic message, then please copy as much
of it as you can into a mail, so others can interpret it. Just saying "I got
a kernel panic" is impossible to answer, since it can result from almost an
infinity of reasons.

> There was another message after I
> attempted a reboot on the first kernel panic. It was something about
> an NMI being stuck on the second cpu... it was rather cryptic.

I'm not sure, but from browsing a few documentation pages, it looks like this
could just mean that you have a motherboard without the APIC support needed
for NMI support. I don't think this isn't critical though, as it appears to
be a feature used to debug crashes.

But, again, I'm not sure. Second opinions are welcome