Re: [SLE] wireless network
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 16:10:54 -0400
JD. Brown wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm duplicating what has gone before--
I hadn't noticed this thread before, but:

Normally the cable people will provide a MODEM with
a single (wired) ethernet output. You'll have to
supply the router yourself. Personally, I would not
run a wireless LAN--they're too easy to break into,
in either direction, i.e., to listen to your traffic
or to send _under your name_ spam, pornography, etc.
A person with a small gain antenna can access your
wireless LAN from a couple hundred feet away, in a
car or whatever. I think it is worth the wiring to
do it right.

Just my 2 cents worth. --doug

An open network. That's a duh.

WEP. You'll have to collect at least 100 mb of air waves and it's not always successful for pulling a key. So it can take awhile.

WPA. They can pull a dictionary attack, if your using a PSK? But it really becomes difficult to crack this one (I have yet to do it!). It's rated right along side with a wired LAN and your passwords are only as strong as you make them!

If your ever curious, Try doing it to yourself?

While I use WEP, my WiFi access is outside of my firewall. The only ways in, are via ssh or VPN.