Re: [SLE] OpenOffice 2 beta How to have both the old one & beta?
  • From: Graham Smith <gqs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 01:19:31 +1000
On Fri, 6 May 2005 15:12, Chaitanya Krishna A wrote:
> hi,
>
> --- James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > So, has anyone else done this?
> >
> > I have had multiple copies of OpenOffice or
> > StarOffice. No problem.
>
> I have a copy of the OO beta. I am on SuSE 9.1. I want
> to have both the old version and the beta running
> concurrently on my system so that I can fall back on
> the old one if the new one doesn't work properly. Can
> someone tell me how to do this?
>
> If I do
> 'rpm -Uvih *rpm' with the beta, I guess I will lose
> the old version. Right?

All I do after extracting the archives is rpm -Uvh *.rpm, the new beta version
will not overwrite the old SuSE OpenOffice 1.3 version.

A few things to watch with the new beta is that there is a new sub-directory
which has the different distribution specific menu stuff in it. Previously
all these files were in the same directory are all the core files, and you
had to delete the Redhat and mandrake versions before installing.

I find that if you have a earlier version of OOo 2.00 beta installed and you
upgrade to a newer version the KDE menu's can get screwed up.

--
Regards,

Graham Smith