Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3: buggy as hell
  • From: Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 17:42:17 -0700
On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 23:39 +0300, Janne Karhunen wrote:
> Let me first say that i'm a Linux professional, i make my living
> off it and have been using it since -96. So far i've been a happy
> camper with SUSE (for 6 years now), but now i honestly have to say
> that i'm very, very, VERY disappointed with the quality of the
> latest release. Really sad :(

If you can, go back to 9.2. I think there are far fewer problem with
9.2. At least from what I've seen on this list.

I did some soul-searching this week (publicly and privately) about
whether to stick with SuSE. I downloaded and seriously considered
Centos, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.

In the end, however, I decided that with Centos or Fedora or virtually
any other distro you either have to do beta testing for someone who may
some day may pull the rug out from underneath you or you are stuck with
a distro that may or may not be supported next week because the
community isn't strong.

SuSE has neither problem. I think Novell/SuSE is here to stay and the
community is strong, if at times challenging. And even if the releases
head more down the Fedora path, I guess I'd rather do beta testing for
Novell than for Red Hat, if that's what it comes down to. As long as
they continue to distribute SuSE Pro close to how they do today.

So I would advise you to go back to 9.2. It's basically stable unless
there's something in 9.3 that you need. Wait for 9.4/10 and hope they do
a better job next time. That's what I'm doing.

Preston