Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3: buggy as hell
  • From: Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 18:24:01 -0700
On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 18:07 -0700, Ben Rosenberg wrote:
> Well, I've found that 9.3 is much better then 9.2. With 9.2 we had
> issue where it had a strange bug where it would take 15-25 minutes to
> reboot because EVERYTIME it booted the system it wanted to run
> reiserfsck against the 1.8T data partition.. didn't matter what

That's very odd. And I guess it proves the point of some other posters
here, that sometimes some people have bugs that others never ever see.
Because I've never seen this one. 9.2 has been very smooth for me, on
the balance.

> I don't know why some would have issue and some do not. I'm just
> thankful that 9.3 fixed that bug.. because some of the PHB's were
> talking Gentoo. I think I'd quit prior to that. :)

Yuck. Gentoo is never something I'd consider. I ran FreeBSD on a box at
home for a time. Great idea. Optimized software and all that, but when
the rubber meets the road, it's not such a good idea. For example, I
went to install OpenOffice.org from ports. After downloading 20-some
libraries it spent the next hour compiling the software. Needless to say
the part I was least happy about wasn't the hour of compilation. It was
the fact that suddenly I had 20 libraries I may never need sitting on my
machine taking up space. I'll always prefer binary packaging.

Preston