Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3: buggy as hell
  • From: Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 19:24:31 -0700
On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 18:47 -0700, Ben Rosenberg wrote:
> On 5/6/05, Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > That's very odd. And I guess it proves the point of some other posters
> > here, that sometimes some people have bugs that others never ever see.
> > Because I've never seen this one. 9.2 has been very smooth for me, on
> > the balance.
>
> Yeah. I kind of figured no one had seen this problem because I posted
> to the list a couple times about it and no one responded. :)
>
> Doesn't matter now.. 9.2 is a bad memory for me.

Weird. I'm scared to go to 9.3, personally. I've even thought about NLD.
$50 and all. I was thinking about this yesterday and maybe I do need to
adopt a mindset similar to what another poster said when they said they
install all their own major software. Maybe I just need to find a distro
with a solid kernel, GUI and userland and then just install my own
software. I kind of did this when I ran Fedora. Relied on them for the
basic distro functionality such as the Desktop Manager, web browser,
mail client, etc. then installed my own Apache, MySQL, Java, Tomcat,
etc.

> > the fact that suddenly I had 20 libraries I may never need sitting on my
> > machine taking up space. I'll always prefer binary packaging.
>
> We tested FreeBSD with the custom software we are build and Linux was
> about 30% faster... which hacked off one of my co-workers who is a
> freeBSD person. *laugh*

That doesn't shock me. I found it fast for some things, but I've met
many in the FreeBSD community who admit it's slower. They'll say it's
because of the task switching in FreeBSD being bad and I think they're
right. 5.x may be better and faster. But it's still true, regardless of
cause.

> One can do pkgs with Gentoo but then what would be the point to using
> it? If one uses the pkgs then it's just an infant Linux distro with a
> way smaller userbase the SUSE or RH. :)

Totally.

Preston