Re: [SLE] Benq FP731 TFT monitor
  • From: Sjoerd Hiemstra <penguinista.frisiana144@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 10:51:10 +0200
Gus Degreef wrote:
> The new machine may include a Benq FP731 TFT monitor. I want to
> install Suse 9.3 on it. Does anyone have any experience with this
> monitor? Will it be supported?

AFAIK, *any* TFT monitor can be used.
If the Benq FP731 is not in the list of monitors shown during
installation, then the horizontal and vertical frequencies can be
entered manually.
It looks like this:

horizontal sync frequency: 30-60 kHz
vertical sync frequency: 60-75 Hz

The values for the Benq FP731 should be in the manual that comes with
the monitor.
The installation program (sax2) also offers the opportunity to use the
CD that comes with the monitor.

I have a TFT monitor myself that is not listed, with rather 'narrow'
settings. When sax2 starts, the monitor often displays 'Out of range'
and nothing else, so sax2 cannot be used.
In this case, xf86config can be used instead of sax2; a text-based
configuration utility where you can enter these values. It is also
described in the Administration Guide.

In one case, the screen was not perfect yet after using xf86config, but
sax2 was at least visible, so I could use sax2 to further adjust the
monitor and video card settings.
In a second case, after using xf86config, the screen looked perfect
immediately.

S.H.