Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3: buggy as hell
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 15:37:07 +0200
On Saturday 07 May 2005 15:18, Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 5/7/05, Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Saturday 07 May 2005 14:17, Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
> > > Forgot to tell: without this patch init forced a fsck for all
> > > filesystem in fstab (in /etc/init.d/boot.localfs), with automatic
> > > repair. Not what you want..
> >
> > No, but not something you'd want to ignore either. It runs fsck with the
> > -a flag, which will only switch to full repair mode if there are errors
> > flagged in the file system. While this can take time, I don't think just
> > bypassing it is the correct log term fix. It would be better to find out
> > why the file system is flagged as broken
>
> Perhaps SuSe/Novell ought to think of a longer dealy period for new
> revisions? Mandrake/Mandriva have done so. Instead of cutting edge
> they are now looking at more stability and less bugginess. SuSE have
> a loyal customer base and a rightly fantastic reputation for stability
> but that can so easily be lost literally overnight.

I fail to see how that would affect a broken file system.

But even so, Mandrake still churns out the latest and greatest to those
willing to experiment. I think you'll find their stability endeavours applies
to their business offerings. In other words, what suse have been doing with
the Enterprise Server for years.

If you're looking for long term support and stability, that's where you should
be looking, not at suse pro. Just as you wouldn't run a business server from
Mandrake cooker.

This of course doesn't mean suse pro shouldn't be stable, and for many it is.
Aside from a few niggles (xdm bug, for example, and something strange about
wget on a 64 bit platform) it's been running non stop and error free on this
machine now sine I got it three weeks ago (uptime 23 days 10 hours).

But suse pro has always included the latest software available on release
(except perhaps for gnome, but even that has changed). And with the latest
and greatest there will always be problems, it's just the way software works.

And people want new software. Witness the popularity of James' usr-local-bin
builds, or the KDE packages from supplementary/. If suse held back in the
name of stability, they'd be flamed for being slow.

So you get a choice: the latest pro for the latest software with the latest
features - and the problems that go with it - or the business products for
slightly older software but which have been tested more thoroughly.

< Previous Next >