Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3: buggy as hell
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 15:54:26 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2005-05-07 at 08:29 -0400, Ken Schneider wrote:

> > The init.d new system is undocumented and buggy. I reported that here.
> >
> I found this in 9,2 and may apply to 9.3:
>
> YaST-->System-->/etc/sysconfig Editor-->System-->Boot-->USE_MAKE
>
> Perhaps you can turn off the "new improved but broken" way of starting
> the system.

Yes, it does apply - I was not aware that the feature appeared in 9.2 -
but it doesn't solve it.

The thing is that once upon a time I made a temporary backup of an init
script while I decided which to use. It's name was
"/etc/init.d/postfix.rpmorig.borraralgundia", and the consequences were
not trivial:

* service postfix did not start on boot, nor did it stop on halt
* "chkconfig postfix on" did not insert the service, nor "off" removed
it. Same for innserv or Yast.
* Creating/removing symlinks (like /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S17postfix) does not
work, they don't run on init.

The cause was that the file "/etc/init.d/.depend.start" contained this
wrong entry:

postfix.rpmorig.borraralgundia: network named syslog xntpd ldap ypbind

instead of one for "postfix" alone. Notice that if an rpm update leaves a
file named *.rpmorig or similar, as they usually do, that will break the
bootup/halt sequence.

It also means that the existence of script's symlinks in the appropriate
directories do not guarantee that the scripts do run when they should:
also the Makefile and "depends" must be correct.

And this last thing is not documented. Nothing is mentioned about the
"make" like behaviour in the admin book or on/offline manual.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

< Previous Next >