Re: [SLE] 9.3 cron.daily run time
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 00:30:52 +0200
On Sunday 08 May 2005 00:21, Richard Bos wrote:
> Op zondag 8 mei 2005 00:18, schreef Anders Johansson:
> > > cron.daily only takes care that jobs/scripts are run once every day.
> > >  If you need more accurate timing, like e.g. your backup scripts you
> > > should use cron.
> >
> > As long as catman and updatedb are run by cron.daily, that's not good
> > enough
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you want to say. It is because they take to
> much time/processing power?

Yes, they're the type of job you don't want to have running while you're
working on other things. Especially on lower end hardware they will
essentially guarantee that the computer can't do anything else until they're
done.

I know this isn't really the place to complain about these things, and perhaps
I shouldn't be, but I thought I would mention it anyway since I'm afraid
people will be seeing it happen when they install 9.3, and hopefully this
post (or this entire thread) will go some way towards explaining why.

The lines posted by Michael Nelson:

59 * * * * root rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly
04 0 * * * root rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.daily
29 1 * * 6 root rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.weekly
44 1 1 * * root rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.monthly

at the very least the three last ones, should be put back into crontab.
Perhaps with a modification of the times. But it should be run when other
things aren't being done.

< Previous Next >