Starnge alsa problem with xmms
  • From: Andrei Verovski <andreil1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 12:22:28 +0300
Hi,

I am still fighting problem with sound output from xmms on SuSE 9.3 (other programs MPlayer, Xine, VLC, Juk, working OK). Please note I HAVE installed MP3 support for xmms - xmm-lib-mad.

This is error message in console:

** WARNING **: alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed: Permission denied
ALSA lib confmisc.c:560:(snd_determine_driver) could not open control for card 0
ALSA lib conf.c:3477:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: Permission denied
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3477:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: Permission denied
ALSA lib confmisc.c:955:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3477:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: Permission denied
ALSA lib conf.c:3946:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: Permission denied
ALSA lib pcm.c:2070:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default

** WARNING **: alsa_setup(): Failed to open pcm device (default): Permission denied

This is message I have posted before.

Just installed 9.3 and encountered strange problem. I know that many people
had sound problem on 9.3, but in my case sound DO work (in kaffeine, juk,
KDE, etc.). It does not work ONLY in xmms. Error message thrown by xmms
explains that either sound card not configured properly (however, it does),
either other program is blocking soundcard (it does not) either no correct
output plugin selected (I have automatic detection, manual selection of alsa
do not cure problem, too)

Please note I have xmms-lib-mad installed.

It seems I do not understand something in sound architecture. Anyone can help
me with that problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion(s).

***   with best regards
***   Andrei Verovski (aka MacGuru)
***   Mac, Linux, DTP, Programming Web Site
***
***   http://snow.prohosting.com/guru4mac/

  • No further messages