Re: [SLE] Promise Driver - SUSE - ENT 9
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 19:28:47 +0200
On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 12:38 -0700, Systems Administrator wrote:
> Does anyone know of a driver for the 2.6.5 kernel under SUSE Enterprise 9?
> The SUSE9 driver at the Promise site is for 2.4.21...
I had this problem earlier in the year. Had a SUSE 8.0 Pro server
running on an intel board with Promise IDE raid onboard. Why on earth
Intel would put a promise controller on their boards is beyond me, but
anyways.

The machine was running two 120GB discs, each master on either of the
Promise interfaces, setup in a "hardware" raid-1. The contoller used
the promise supplied driver for the 2.4 kernel.

No drivers available from promise for 2.6. 2.6 kernel has a driver for
the card, but it doesn't recognise the raid function - probably because
it's completely software, and linux kernel does that already.

Long story short I put the discs on the normal Intel controllers (non
raid) and used linux kernel raid to make a mirror. It's a hell of a lot
faster than anything on the promise ever was, and a lot more stable too.

So if you're only dealing with two drives, I strongly suggest you put
them on your normal IDE interfaces and use linux raid.

--
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy

< Previous Next >