Re: [SLE] Installing other distros RPM packages?
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 19:52:17 +0100
On 5/9/05, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a working SuSE 9.0 system which I use. All of the packages are
> off the 9.0 CD's and I 'prefer' to only use SuSE compiled RPM's as then
> I know files are going to be installed in the correct place, wherever
> that may be. From time to time I see software package updates, either on
> CD or the web but they are for another distro ie Mandrake and perhaps
> others.
>
> Is it possible to use those RPM's via YaST and still have them install
> in the correct SuSE locations or as it might be a Mandrake RPM it will
> install in locations Mandrake would have.
>
> Basically the question revolves around location, location, location.
> Being in the right place at the right time, is crucial to property and
> most other things and I wonder if the installed location is as important
> or different between distros using the same package format?
>
> As both Mandravia and SuSE subscribe to the FHStandard can the above
> assumption be made?
>
> Regards
> --

I'd have thought that by installing via YaST they would be installed
in the correct places according to SuSE. You'd just need to add the
download point as a source and go from there as normal. I could be
wrong but I'd be happy to hear from other more experienced Linux users
on this one.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer