Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3: buggy as hell
  • From: Michael W Cocke <cocke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:21:07 -0400
On Mon, 9 May 2005 21:17:03 -0800, you wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 23:39 +0300, Janne Karhunen wrote:
>>On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 23:39 +0300, Janne Karhunen wrote:
>>> Let me first say that i'm a Linux professional, i make my living
>>> off it and have been using it since -96. So far i've been a happy
>>> camper with SUSE (for 6 years now), but now i honestly have to say
>>> that i'm very, very, VERY disappointed with the quality of the
>>> latest release. Really sad :(
>
>>If you can, go back to 9.2. I think there are far fewer problem with
>>9.2. At least from what I've seen on this list.
>
>>I did some soul-searching this week (publicly and privately) about
>>whether to stick with SuSE. I downloaded and seriously considered
>>Centos, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.
>
>>In the end, however, I decided that with Centos or Fedora or virtually
>>any other distro you either have to do beta testing for someone who may
>>some day may pull the rug out from underneath you or you are stuck with
>>a distro that may or may not be supported next week because the
>>community isn't strong.
>
>>SuSE has neither problem. I think Novell/SuSE is here to stay and the
>>community is strong, if at times challenging. And even if the releases
>>head more down the Fedora path, I guess I'd rather do beta testing for
>>Novell than for Red Hat, if that's what it comes down to. As long as
>>they continue to distribute SuSE Pro close to how they do today.
>
>>So I would advise you to go back to 9.2. It's basically stable unless
>>there's something in 9.3 that you need. Wait for 9.4/10 and hope they do
>>a better job next time. That's what I'm doing.
>
>>Preston
>
>And wait for the patches to come out or just stay one version behind.
>
>Greg Wallace

Just FYI - Suse 9.3 is on 4 systems here & now. I've encountered two
(2) errors out of all of them, and both were corrected the day I found
them. DAMN but 9.3 is fast! And I've got audio on my desktop for the
first time since 9.2 was installed. Crossover office is running,
VMware workstation is running, xine and xmms are running, firefox is
running...

I even went crazy & rebuilt my firewall/mail server/webserver system -
which is working perfectly!

If you can't make 9.3 work, don't blame 9.3.

Mike-

--
Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.
--

Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed site-wide spam
filters at catherders.com. If email from you bounces, try non-HTML, non-encoded,

< Previous Next >