Re: [SLE] ftp server
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:43:58 -0400
On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 09:32, Ken Schneider wrote:
> Looking to set up an ftp server so I can install 9,3 on a machine that
> has a broken dvd drive. The only server package on 9.2 DVD is pure-ftpd
> and I can't figure out how to set the root dir to where I want it. Am I
> missing something simple or are the docs missing that part?

Ken I realize this doesn't sound overly easy but, have you considered
creating an ISO of the DVD on the disk you'd ftp from, mount the .iso on
a file system, and then sharing that directory out under NFS (or skip a
bit of this and share of the DVD drive)? You could then sidestep the
FTP process all-together. I've done network installs, what you need is
a boot disk with modules, and do the process manually. Not as sweet as
the DVD install, but it did work well on a system that didn't have a
CD-ROM to install from.

Mike