Re: [SLE] editor for extremely large test file
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 18:13:52 -0400
On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 15:06 -0700, James D. Parra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Anyone know of an editor that can open a 39 GB text file? I need to locate
> and copy out a large block of text from this file, about 8 million rows, at
> roughly 200 MB of data.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> James

Is there any pattern to the text you need removed? Are they just random
lines in the file? Others on the list may be able to help using sed.
I at times will remove lines that have a pattern with
If all went well rename the new file to the old one. I think vi would
handle the size but it will take a l o n g time to open as vi makes a
copy of the file being edited in case of a crash.

--
Ken Schneider