Re: [SLE] editor for extremely large test file
  • From: Colin Carter <colincarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:23:57 +1000
On Wednesday 11 May 2005 13:09, Graham Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:06, James D. Parra wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Anyone know of an editor that can open a 39 GB text file? I need to
> > locate and copy out a large block of text from this file, about 8 million
> > rows, at roughly 200 MB of data.
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> >
> > James
>
> Well I don't know about handling a 39G text file but you could look at
> Crisp. I know it handles 1G files quite well. You can download a demo
> version which is time limited from
> http://www.crisp.com/
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Graham Smith

You must have 'some' idea of the text for which you are searching.
Write a C program which reads and searches, and when your search
string is found dump, say a MB, to a file and note the position (character
count) in the file. Continue the search, creating a new file for each 'find'.
Examine each file for the text you want, then seek(position) and read/
copy to a new file and edit it.

Your initial search prog might take an evening to run, but ...

Good luck,
Colin

< Previous Next >