Re: [SLE] SuSE supported aDSL devices
On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 14:12, Jan Sedivy wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I am just starting using Linux (SuSE 9.2) and I´d like to use it also
> for my connection to Internet via aDSL. But I´m not sure which devices
> are capable running under SuSE. There are these types of modems (Draytek
> Vigor 318 USB or Microcom AD 2622), and routers (Alcatel SpeedTouch 510i
> or Draytek Vigor 2600 Ge) that could be used. I was searching in the
> hardware database at http://cdb.novell.com, but I could find there only
> two of older Draytek routers (2200X and 2500We), both with "problematic!
> status. Does somebody USE any of above mentioned four devices and if,
> are there any problems?
>
> Thank in advance for any advice
>
> Jan Sedivy
> jsedivy@xxxxxxxxxxx

I would recommend a router. A router can be used with any OS that can
get a network TCP/IP connection. This is a recommended item to use. Plus
you can setup NAT with it and use multiple machines with your DSL as
most providers do not give out multiple public IP's. Plus a lot of the
newer routers have great firewall software. It will save you time and a
possible headache as not many DSL modems are kernel 2.6 compatible.

Brad Dameron
SeaTab Software
www.seatab.com