Re: [SLE] SuSE supported aDSL devices
  • From: Colin Carter <colincarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:12:23 +1000
On Thursday 12 May 2005 07:21, Brad Dameron wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 14:12, Jan Sedivy wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > I am just starting using Linux (SuSE 9.2) and I´d like to use it also
> > for my connection to Internet via aDSL. But I´m not sure which devices
> > are capable running under SuSE. There are these types of modems (Draytek
> > Vigor 318 USB or Microcom AD 2622), and routers (Alcatel SpeedTouch 510i
> > or Draytek Vigor 2600 Ge) that could be used. I was searching in the
> > hardware database at http://cdb.novell.com, but I could find there only
> > two of older Draytek routers (2200X and 2500We), both with "problematic!
> > status. Does somebody USE any of above mentioned four devices and if,
> > are there any problems?
> >
> > Thank in advance for any advice
> >
> > Jan Sedivy
> > jsedivy@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I would recommend a router. A router can be used with any OS that can
> get a network TCP/IP connection. This is a recommended item to use. Plus
> you can setup NAT with it and use multiple machines with your DSL as
> most providers do not give out multiple public IP's. Plus a lot of the
> newer routers have great firewall software. It will save you time and a
> possible headache as not many DSL modems are kernel 2.6 compatible.

Is this true?
Are you implying that kernel has been written in such a way that if I
upgrade from SuSE 9.1 to 9.2 I will have to throw away my Netcomm Plus 4 ?
It is a combination ethernet, usb, ADSL modem with router and firwall, so I
don't feel very happy if SuSE has done such a 'silly' thing!

> Brad Dameron
> SeaTab Software
> www.seatab.com

Colin