Novell Linux Leaders Flee
  • From: <its2am@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:51:11 +0200
It seems to me there are a few points here:

1) Is the Inquirer a reliable news rag? Who knows, but the story was
also in eWeek, which, I think, has a better rep:

So, is the story factual? Probably.

2) Are the Novell "Linux leaders" leaving? Well, the following
paragraph is taken from the eWeek article:

"...after the departures of vice chairman Chris Stone last November
and of chief technology officer Alan Nugent this March, both of whom
were pivotal players in the company's decision to embrace Linux and
open source across all of its products and services...."

It would appear that some good brains have left Novell recently. What
the article doesn't answer is, "Why?"

3) What effect will this have on SuSE and Novell? I've heard
SuSE described as Novell's "dying gasp", but that, obviously, is one
person's opinion. We'll see.

And 4) (tangentially) Is SuSE getting better? That, as has been seen
on this list, is debatable.

My personal opinion is that Linux (in general) has improved
drastically over the past 5 years, but is still only about as usable
(for a desktop system) as Windows 98 was. SuSE is a pretty good
flavor. So's Red Hat.

Red Hat has the advantage of being the flavor of choice in America,
which is a pretty big, unified market. There was also news yesterday
of Michael Dell's investment of $99.5 million into Red Hat. The
European market is fragmented, to say the least.

What does all this mean? I hope some intelligent folk on this
list will chime in, but my opinion is that SuSE will maintain its
small sliver of a market share, and some new brains will be found to
replace those who've left Novell, and the world will continue to turn.

< Previous Next >