Re: [SLE] Novell Linux Leaders Flee
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:31:16 +0200
its2am@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> My personal opinion is that Linux (in general) has improved
> drastically over the past 5 years, but is still only about as usable
> (for a desktop system) as Windows 98 was.

It's hard to discuss Linux in general, I think, but your comparison is probably not too bad.
>From a corporate point of view, at the moment there is nothing else I need on the Linux desktop
- we use thin clients, no probs. From a personal pov, I would love to see some more games, but
that's all that is left (for me) on Windows.

> Red Hat has the advantage of being the flavor of choice in America,
> which is a pretty big, unified market. There was also news yesterday
> of Michael Dell's investment of $99.5 million into Red Hat. The
> European market is fragmented, to say the least.

There is a pretty big german-language market, which SuSE probably has a really good penetration
in. I'm not sure the European is as fragmented as you think.

> What does all this mean? I hope some intelligent folk on this
> list will chime in, but my opinion is that SuSE will maintain its
> small sliver of a market share, and some new brains will be found to
> replace those who've left Novell, and the world will continue to turn.

I second that.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

--
http://www.spamchek.com/freetrial - ├╝berzeugen Sie sich - 30 Tage kostenlos und unverbindlich!