Re: [SLE] Sil 3114 and two disk
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:48:50 -0400
On 5/13/05, zio budda wrote:
> Hi, I have a Gygabite MotherBoard with Sil3114 Raid Chipset and 2 HD.
> Into the bios of Sil 3114 I have set one Raid0 so when I boot the PC
> (before the boot manager menu) I see the text: "Sil0 138GB". Ok, it is
> correct. Now I want to install Suse 9.3 Pro, I boot from DVD and I see
> 2 HDx73GB and not HD 1x138GB. Why ? This is correct ?
>
> Tnx in advance for all and sorry for my bad english.

As I understand it, the Linux Kernel does not support any of the fake
raid setups.

If a controller has true hardware raid, it is typically supported or
there are efforts underway to support it.

If it only has fake raid, then with Linux you should ignore that
feature and use a pure software raid (ie. see the MD package). In
general, the md package is considered very good, reliable, and fast.

PS: if you didn't know Sil only supports fake raid. That means with
Windows a special driver is provided that actually implements the RAID
aspect at a very low level, but still in the Windows driver, not on
the Sil card itself.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer