Re: [SLE] how to write large (> 2GB) files onto DVD
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 14:24:45 -0400
On 5/13/05, Gabor Istvan wrote:
> Thanks for your answer.
> I tried to write in UDF format with k3b: I set up UDF in the filesystems
> with and without Rockridge/Joliet but k3b made coasters.
> How could I write UDF not using k3b or mkisofs?
> TIA,
> IG
>
> > > How can I write large, (eg 4.4 GB) files onto DVD? Can I use k3b
> for
> > > that? File system does not not need to be iso9660.
> >
> > Have you tried UDF instead of iso9660. UDF is a newer filesystem
>
> --

I hate to admit it, but I normally burn UDF from Windows. The app I
have that generates the need for UDF is windows based.

So, copied from another list:

===
Try:
mkisofs -udf -r -o /tmp/BigFileTest.iso /some/directory/with/big/files/in

which should work, despite not having Joliet extensions (the man page
for mkisofs
suggests that -udf is linked to Joliet, but it appears to work. However, so
far I've only tested a file by loopback mounting, and only done one just a bit
bigger than 2Gb which fails without the -udf)

Don't make coasters: test it using the loopback device:

mount -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 /tmp/BigFileTest.iso /mnt
====

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer