Re: [SLE] nVidia rocks; Don't Buy An ATI card
  • From: elefino <kevinmcl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 14:23:50 -0400
On Saturday 14 May 2005 08:52, Allen wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 11:42:15PM -0700, John Bailo wrote:
> > After suffering for months with an ATI 9200 with Suse 9.2, based on
> > recommendations, I went and got a GeForce 5200.
> >
> > There's no comparison!
> >
> > The GeForce cost $20 less, and is 100 times better!
> >
> > The driver ( once I understood how to install it ) performs
> > flawlessly.
>
> I could have told you that ;) I buy nothing but Nvidia. Even my laptop
> has an Nvidia GeForce FX GO 5200.

On the other hand, my machine at work is a DELL Optiplex GX280 with
an nVidia Quadro 1300, and when I installed SuSE 9.2 I could not get
it to recognize/use the dual-monitor capability. So, I end up booted into
WinXP all the time, because I just can't take the time at the office to
figure out how to make it all work. They pay me for other things.

The nVidia is not a new model, so it's not like I was using
bleeding edge hardware.

At home, on this machine, I run SuSE 9.2 only (until my 9.3 Upgrade
arrives...). I've got some old ATI card in here, and recent releases of
SuSE have actually been able to recognize it and even make use of
hardware 3D.
Go figure. Didn't even take weeks/months of Googling, reading
man pages, and combing the lists... it just worked. After the uniformity
of my experiences from SuSE 5.2 up through 9.x, that was really
surprising. Unfortunately, over all those years I got thoroughly out of
the habit of playing any games, so now I've got no use for 3D. :-)

As well, I've had various bits of hardware be recognized and configured
by SuSE install for years, then install the latest SuSE and have it forget
it ever knew this sound-card, that video card, this other network
adapter...

So, with the way this thread has been going in both directions, I
still think that having YaST recognize and properly configure your
system is generally a matter of luck or whim of the gods. Usually, it
takes me until the next release is coming out, to get the last release
all working. Keeps me off the streets.

Kevin