Re: [SLE] LAN Problem - Latest Stagger Forward
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 06:02:39 -0700
Ken, Stephen,

On Monday 16 May 2005 05:38, Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 08:34 -0400, Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. wrote:
> >
> > Why can't I do this as a user? More importantly, what do I have to
> > change to enable the process as a user?
>
> Only root can run the mount command. Have a look at
> /etc/samba/smbfstab to have windows shares mount at boot time.
> I used this in the past with good results.

That's not really true. Entries in /etc/fstab may include the option
"user" which makes it possible for non-privileged users to mount and
unmount the device / file system described by that entry and the
related "ower" option, which makes it possible for the device owner to
mount it.

Man 5 fstab for details.

> --
> Ken Schneider