Re: [SLE] SuSE / Novell Patch System on 9.3
  • From: Hartmut Meyer <hartmut.meyer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:48:35 +0200
Hi,

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 00:27, Jason Snyder wrote:

> I went out of my way to have hardware that plays well with previous
> releases of SuSE. Here is a listing:
>
> 1. M/B: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2 based).
> 2. CPU: Athlon XP 3200.
> 3. RAM: 2x512 MB Corsiar XMS. (Tried Kingston Value RAM, but ran into
> problems with M/B insisting on too aggressive timings even after manually
> setting which destabilized the system.)
> 3. Video: GForce 6800 GT.
> 4. Sound: Primary - SB Live!, Secondary - SB 128, Unused - Onboard sound
> (broken, which seems to be common with this board).
> 5. Network: Primary - Onboard 10/100, Not used - Onboard Gigabit (SuSE 9.2
> was fine with this one, but SuSE 9.3 couldn't handle it.)
> 6. TV Tuner - Hauppauge WinTV GO (SuSE 9.2 was fine with it, but SuSE 9.3
> couldn't handle this one either.)
>
> I got SuSE 9.1 and SuSE 9.2 to run stable on this system and I even got
> windows XP to run as stable as I have ever seen windows run (which is not
> saying all that much).
>
> Do you see anything readily wrong with this setup?

Looks unsuspicious to me.

I don't know about your window manager issues (that could be anything -
including misconfiguration). But the fact that two of the devices that worked
fine with 9.2 (also kernel 2.6 based) are now not working anymore indicates
that this could be a resource problem.

Have you tried the "failsafe" settings from the boot menu?

If this didn't help, have you try the various ACPI parameters as described in

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/10/81_acpi.html

Greetings from Stuhr
hartmut
< Previous Next >