Re: [SLE] postfix and procmail
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 19:08:15 +0200
On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 10:03 -0400, Ken Schneider wrote:
> I am trying to get postfix to work with procmail but I am missing
> something somewhere.

mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a "$EXTENTION"

I'm not entirely sure what the "$EXTENTION" means (got that in a howto
somewhere long alog) but from the man page it seems to provide a way for
postfix to pass additional arguments, like maybe the user(?) to procmail

> I have amavisd-new-2.2.1-5 included in the mail
> process as per its instructions. I created a /etc/procmailrc file with a
> couple of rules:
[snip]

> :0fw: spamassassin.lock
> * < 256000
> | spamassassin

this is unnecessary if you're using amavisd-new. Amavisd-new is a lot
faster than spamassassin, and it does additional checks, and it can
incorporate dspam, so you get an avarage of more checks - turns out to
be a little more accurate.

> sure, it might be called by amavis. I think I need to set procmail as
> the local delivery agent but have not been able to find any docs on how
> to do this.
Except for the "drop spam" rule, in your case I don't really see the
need for procmail (although it is really useful for sorting mail into
folders). Postfix can deliver mail into both /var/spool/mail/<user> and
into /home/<user>/Maildir - which is nice if you use courier-imap.
The /etc/postfix/main.cf file contains all the options for this.

Dropping mail can be done in amavisd-new too, and it gives you a little
more control over border-cases. Mail over a certain score will get
discarded, mail between two different scores will be let through but
marked, ect. The /etc/amavisd.conf file that ships with SUSE after
version 9 (or 9.1, can't remember) is a shortened version. I'll send
you the complete one off list (fairly large) - almost everything is
explained very well in there.

--
Hans du Plooy
SagacIT (Pty) Ltd