Re: [SLE] nVidia rocks; Don't Buy An ATI card
  • From: Silviu Marin-Caea <silviu_marin-caea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:14:27 +0300
On Saturday 14 May 2005 12:30, John Bailo wrote:

> Sorry, but I went from a dog Radeon 9200 to a stellar GeForce FX5200.

Argh!

nvidia might be a better option for Linux because of the drivers.

But you're comparing card that don't have the same capabilities.

9200 has Pixel & Vertex shader 1.0 while FX5200 has 2.0.

In Windows empirical terms this means DirectX8.1 vs 9.0.

A fairer comparison would be ATI 9550 vs GeForce FX5200 or FX5500.

Or ATI X300 vs GeForce 6200.
Or ATI X600/700 vs GeForce 6600.

So if you would have went from Radeon 9200 to Radeon 9550, the later might
have been the "stellar" one.

And BTW, I own nvidia FX5200 and probably my next card will be GeForce 6600.
But I don't want to see ATI bashed for the wrong reasons.

I don't know if their latest driver is ok, that is does it install easily, are
there any problems? Because that was the major trouble with ATI: they were
slow at releasing new drivers, and at keeping them in sync with latest
developments in XFree86 of X.org respectively.

< Previous Next >