Re: [SLE] ms-project equivalent to run under linux/samba
  • From: AD Marshall <admarshall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 21:26:09 +0700
On Friday 20 May 2005 20:58, Ben Higginbottom wrote:
> On 5/20/05, mourik jan heupink <heupink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > We have a network based on samba/ldap pdc with windows xp clients.
> > Now all of a sudden 'they' (the boss, secretaries) decided they
> > want ms-project.
>
> MSProject is a very good app, except for the obvious drawback of
> being very expensive and rather too advanced for the casual user,
> chances are they'll never use it.
>
> > Does anyone here know an open source package that does the same?
> > (roughly the same) Or at least something that does not (as I guess
> > ms project does) require a native windows environment?
>
> GanttProject (http://ganttproject.sourceforge.net/) runs off Java and
> provides similar functionality, the next few months they plan on
> providing mpp compatability. TaskJuggler ships with Suse, and is an
> excellent project management tool, but currently I belive that its
> Unix only.
>
> There are also several webbased management tools, and to add some
> relevance, theres even one (not very good) included with SLOX .

If the office staff know MS Project, you're likely to meet stiff
resistance trying to get them to use anything else. If that's all i
knew and i had more pressing work to do, i'd resist too.

Still, phprojekt, http://www.phprojekt.com/, is web-based, might be
fairly well-evolved by now and it has tonnes of add-on features and a
respectable user base.

SuSE 9.3 ships with "Imendio Planner 0.12", /opt/gnome/bin/planner,
http://www.imendio.com/projects/planner/user-guide/
KDE Menu -> Office -> Project Management

More to choose from at:
http://www.google.com.vn/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=open-source+project-management+software

best,
Andi