Re: [SLE] Disable ARTS
  • From: Michael W Cocke <cocke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 17:11:31 -0400
On Sun, 22 May 2005 21:02:12 +0200, you wrote:

>On Sunday 22 May 2005 20:41, John Bailo wrote:
>> Someone told me that Arts is the cause of a lot of sound problems in Suse.
>
>Someone told you a half truth.
>
>> What is it?
>
>It is the KDE sound daemon. It is responsible for managing sound streams and
>multiplexing them together. The problem some people have with it is that it
>tends to hog the sound device. If you have a really old or cheap card that
>can't handle multiple threads, it will tend to block non-arts aware programs
>from producing sound. This is the only problem I'm aware of, and if you have
>a reasonably new card it shouldn't be a problem at all
>
>> Can it be disabled and yet have the OS produce sound?
>
>The OS doesn't produce sounds. KDE will not be able to produce sounds anymore,
>but other programs will still work. But this is an extremely unlikely source
>of your sound problems

I tend to disagree with Anders (on this), but it's a complex question
and at least part of the issue is what versions of arts and KDE you're
using, as well as your sound card & driver. In SuSE 9.2 I had tons of
erratic sound problems with several different sound cards. Sometimes
stopping and/or restarting artsd helped, sometimes it didn't - I
suspect I was having several different kinds of problems, but after
beating it up for a while I just gave up on audio in linux, so I can't
really tell you exactly what the problems were.

With 9.3, the sound is rock solid on the same hardware, so YMMV. If
your audio is iffy, try stopping and/or restarting artsd and see what
happens. You won't break anything and it might help.

Mike-

--
Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.
--

Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed site-wide spam
filters at catherders.com. If email from you bounces, try non-HTML, non-encoded,

< Previous Next >