raid test failure of hda
  • From: Richard Bos <radoeka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 00:10:33 +0200
After succesfully installing a raid1 (with disk hda and hdc) and lvm, I'm now
testing a disk failure. I can easily do this as the system has been equipped
with a removable harddisk slot for hda.

Before I continue, I can start the system as configured by yast that is using
hd0,0. The other raid disk is hd1,0 (which is confirmed by
'find /boot/vmlinuz on the grub prompt). I added an entry to grub/menu.lst
that uses hd1,0. I can successfully boot the system now using either hd0,0
or hd1,0.

After I remove hda from the slot the system stops in an empty grub menu
(ascii). Disk hdc is bootable, ... oh wait hdc's mbr is empty of course...
Is this the reason that it is not starting?

Just tried to install grub on hdc, but the answer from the system is:
# grub-install /dev/hdc
/dev/md0 does not have a corresponding bios drive.

Is it possible to alter the MBR in /dev/hdc?

ps: I can also start the system using by selecting 'installation' from the
suse disk and than -> boot installed OS -> this finds that a bootable system
on /dev/md0 (while hda is removed from the system)...

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless