Re: [SLE] Notebook with XP and SuSE
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 06:40:51 -0700
Ronald,

On Monday 23 May 2005 02:42, Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
> I want to use a notebook computer with Windows XP and Linux. I need
> Windows for Office (including Visio) and Project, while I need for
> developing and connection to otherLinux systems.
> What is the best setup for that?
> Dualboot and vmware?

Both are viable options. VMWare costs significant dollars and you'll
need roughly twice as much RAM if you want to run a full mix of
software concurrently in both environments (unless you're already flush
with RAM).

If you don't need concurrent operation and if you don't need to switch
off frequently between the two OSes, dual boot is probably good enough.
Also, VMWare setup and configuration is not for the faint of heart.
VMWare will also force you to choose which is the host environment and
which is the guest. I think it's better to use a Linux host with
Windows as the guest OS (the one that runs in the virtualized
environment).

> What should I take care when I purchase the notebook?

If you want to run two good operating systems, get a Mac, which will run
both Linux and MacOS X.

> bye
>
> Ronald

Randall Schulz