Re: [SLE] Notebook with XP and SuSE
  • From: Erik Jakobsen <eja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 17:48:27 +0200
Randall R Schulz wrote:

Osho,

On Monday 23 May 2005 08:21, Osho GG wrote:

The reason why I stopped using it were many-fold:

1. Suspend-resume is very painfully slow. If you are a road-warrior,
then vmware's suspend/resume will make the notebook suspend/resume
very slow. This is because you have to suspend the virtual machine
before you suspend the physical one and then resume the virtual
machine after you resume the physical one. I have found that this
takes anywhere from 2 to 3 minutes depending on the size of RAM
allocated to virtual machine and the speed of your machine.

There are a great many options for how VMWare operates that bear very heavily on perceived performance. I use it in a way that makes it much faster than the default.

Could you please tell in what way you use it Randall ?

2. Clock problems while running on batteries. If I start vmware when
my notebook is connected to power supply and then remove the power
supply; the CPU frequency drops (as it should). This confuses the
virtual machine's clock run really fastl. Unfortunately, there is no
fix for this.
3. X memory blow up. I found that X was constantly using more and
more memory and became unusable after a few days. I had to restart my
X server every 2-3 days. I am using X.org 6.8.2. Once I stopped using
Vmware; I have had no problems with X memory blow up.

Keep in mind that version 5 was just released. Since VMWare development is quite active, it's reasonable to hope and expect (but verify, of course) that these issues have been fixed. And VMWare (the company) is responsive, so if you report a problem, there's a good chance they'll produce a fix.

Both (2) and (3) sound like an outright bugs. They should be reported.

To vmware's credit, it does work well if you are just plugging in
your laptop into power supply and do not have to ever suspend/resume
your machine.

There's much to VMWare's credit. It's very impressive software.

And no, I have no connection, personal or financial, to this company.

Osho

Randall Schulz

Erik Jakobsen