oldconfig
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 08:59:35 +0200
Hi all,

I was told, that when building a config for a new kernel, you could use
the current kernel-configuration by specifying "make oldconfig"

probably i missed something cause it look much differently.

Situation:
Old 9.0 release (for this i still have to use 2.4 kernel)
Default SuSE kernel (still in /usr/src/linux) is linux-2.4.21-70
Its .config is about 47KB in size

In my home directory, i got the 2.4.30 tree.
After "make mrproper clean", i do a make oldconfig
Resulting .config file is just 21KB

And its not just the size.
>From instalation, it uses, for instance, reiserfs.
When browsing through the resulting .config, i noticed that reiserfs was
not even set. Many others were also missing.

(just for the sheer curiosity, i did a make dep; make bzImage; make
modules modules_install, copied the result to /boot, changed the
grub-file and gave it a try. Just as i expected, no show!)

I was in the impression that make oldconfig should have been enough, and
possibly use make menuconfig to tweak some extra parts....

Wrong?

Hans

< Previous Next >