Re: [SLE] syslog-ng configuration.
  • From: Robert Paulsen <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 18:31:36 -0500
On Tuesday 24 May 2005 18:16, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 01:02, Robert Paulsen wrote:
> > Hmm -- from 9.1 to 9.3 syslog has morphed into syslog-ng.
> >
> > I have my gateway/router set to send syslog info to my SuSE system. This
> > worked fine on 9.1 but I can't figure out how todo it on 9.3.
> >
> > There are two levels of configuration one can deal with -- the individual
> > package's config file (syslog-ng.conf) or the /etc/sysconfig/syslog file.
> > All the documentation addresses the first, but comments in that file say
> > to leave it alone and use the second. But there is nothing in that file
> > that seems appropriate for enabling external connections.
> >
> > Anyone have experience with this?
>
> What is it you want to configure? To enable syslog to listen to the network
> you need to add "-r" to the syslogd parameters. This is mentioned in the
> docs, and in sysconfig/syslog you have SYSLOGD_PARAMS

Well, I don't think that works:

# /sbin/syslog-ng -r
/sbin/syslog-ng: invalid option -- r
Usage: syslog-ng [options]
Accept and manage system log messages

-s, --syntax-only Only read and parse config file
-d, --debug Turn on debugging messages
-v, --verbose Be a bit more verbose
-F, --foreground Don't fork into background
-f <fname>, --cfgfile=<fname> Set config file name,
default=/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf
-V, --version Display version number (syslog-ng 1.6.5)
-p <fname>, --pidfile=<fname> Set pid file name,
default=/var/run/syslog-ng.pid
-C <dir>, --chroot=<dir> Chroot to directory
-u <user>, --user=<user> Switch to user
-g <group>, --group=<group> Switch to group