Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:42:20 -0400
On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 00:10, James F. Pirtle wrote:
> Hello List;
>
> My SuSE 9.1 thinks it is on a 56K dial up modem. It is really hooked up to
> Warner Cable's Road Runner service.
>
> Any suggestion on the best way to get the correct setup? The current modem is
> a Toshiba PCX 1000 and there is a Linksys cable DSL router between the box
> and the modem. Not married to either piece of equipment and could change if
> necessary.

Have the router handle the connection and DHCP. Go into yast and
locate the section for network card "Choose the setup method"
I'm using "Automatic address setup (via DHCP). Click the next button
Host name is set to the name of your computer. As you can see mine is
P-733. Select a suitable Domain Name, don't use a real domain name
unless you have it registered, even then I'm not sure if it won't cause
problems, perhaps someone will know. Click the update name servers and
search list via DHCP, for the Name Server your's will most likely be
192.168.0.1, it's the same intranet address that you use to configure
the router with. Click OK, and follow through to the end. That ought
to do it.

Mike