Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:38:08 -0400
On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 09:51, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Ken Schneider wrote:
> >The Linksys router will be your default route but -not- your nameserver.
> >Use the name servers provided by your ISP.
> >
> Is this a common problem with routers? I have a Netgear with the same
> name server problems. For my linux machines I usually set up a local
> caching DNS using the ISPs DNS as forwarders, which works great for
> Linux but no such luck for Windows. Since they configure via DHCP, it
> makes it a pain for a laptop. I thought it was maybe a Netgear problem,
> but maybe not. I was just wondering if this is a common router problem.

My main router is an SMC Barricade SMC7008ABR (192.168.2.1), I have a
secondary router (DI-604, 192.168.0.1) linked to this in another room,
as far as nameserver configs go I opened up YAST2 and checked out the
config on the network card I get thiis screen warning

The resolver configuration file (/etc/resolv.conf) has been temporarily
modified by dhcpcd. You have two options:
Modify the current (changed!) version of the file
Press 'Accept' now and continue editing other (non-resolver) data. You
could return to this dialog later when the above service has terminated.
The nameserver and domain search list section is greyed out, Change
hostname via DHCP is checked. I can't off hand recall putting the name
server addresses that I got from my ISP into this system, of the one I
just upgraded to 9.3. Of course I could be missing something.

Mike