Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:42:03 -0400
On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 10:21, Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 08:51 -0500, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> > Ken Schneider wrote:
> > >The Linksys router will be your default route but -not- your nameserver.
> > >Use the name servers provided by your ISP.
> > >
> > Is this a common problem with routers? I have a Netgear with the same
> > name server problems. For my linux machines I usually set up a local
> > caching DNS using the ISPs DNS as forwarders, which works great for
> > Linux but no such luck for Windows. Since they configure via DHCP, it
> > makes it a pain for a laptop. I thought it was maybe a Netgear problem,
> > but maybe not. I was just wondering if this is a common router problem.
> > --
> > Joe Morris
>
> If you have a local linux box running a caching dns server just point
> the windows box to it but also include your ISP name servers as well.
> The linksys I have (wrt54g) can supply a list of name servers but cannot
> act as a name server except for local dhcp addresses it has issued.

Do you offhand recall (I don't) where in the configuration of the
network card the nameserver info is entered? I opened up YAST2 a few
times to check out what's there and I don't see anything mentioned other
than the network address of my SMC @ 192.168.2.1 in the section for
nameserver lookup, which is greyed out by default.