RE: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 23:31:58 -0800
On Wednesday, May 25, 2005 @ 5:51 AM, Joe Morris wrote:

>Ken Schneider wrote:
>>The Linksys router will be your default route but -not- your nameserver.
>>Use the name servers provided by your ISP.
>>
>Is this a common problem with routers? I have a Netgear with the same
>name server problems. For my linux machines I usually set up a local
>caching DNS using the ISPs DNS as forwarders, which works great for
>Linux but no such luck for Windows. Since they configure via DHCP, it
>makes it a pain for a laptop. I thought it was maybe a Netgear problem,
>but maybe not. I was just wondering if this is a common router problem.
>--
>Joe Morris
>New Tribes Mission
>Email Address: Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx
>Registered Linux user 231871

The setup you say you have now is what I had at one point and changed
because my entire network would be unavailable if that name server was
unavailable (say the ISP was unreachable). You then have no name server.
You should be able to just tell your machine that 192.168.1.1 IS the name
server.

Greg Wallace