RE: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 08:13:34 -0400
On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 02:06 -0800, Greg Wallace wrote:
> On Friday, May 27, 2005 @ 6:24 PM, Ken Schneider wrote:
> >> >

> >> Probably because the Linksys router does not run bind.
> >>
> >> On mine, a BEFSR41, I can configure the dns server entries to hand out
> >> DHCP clients on the Linksys DHCP page, but that's not the same as running
> >> DNS server.
> >>
> >> Scott
> >Which is the point I was trying to send to Greg, Linksys routers do not
> >run bind and therefore cannot be pointed to as a DNS server. If his
> >entire network becomes unavailable when the nameserver was unavailable
> >then he does not have his local hosts files setup correctly (my best
> >guess). On the wrt54g wireless router with third party firmware you can
> >set it up to act as a local dns cache but it will not perform any
> >internet address translations.
>

> When I first installed SuSE, it defaulted to going out to my ISP, grabbing
> the name server addresses, and storing those as its name servers (you could
> see them from the YAST screen we were discussing earlier in this thread).
> Then, if I lost my connection to my ISP, my network would not start. I'd
> get a message saying it could not access my name server. Setting Linux to
> look to my router for names solved that problem. It checked the router for
> the name server and the router basically said it was ready to supply the
> names as needed. At least that's the behavior it exhibited at startup.
>
> Greg W.
What do you mean by "my network would not start"? Do you mean that the
ethernet interface would not come up? Do you have multiple PC's
connected to the Linksys router? Also what model Linksys do you have as
different models have different capabilities? Without going through the
archives can you post you /etc/resolv.conf file?

--
Ken Schneider