SuSE 9.0 Mozilla 1.4 GMail POP download
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 11:41:25 +0200
Sorry I've been out of the SLE loop for a while. On a recent need for
more POP email space above the 10-20Mb from my ISP, I decided to
auto-forward all mail coming to the ISP account to my GMail account.

I enabled POP on the GMail account and then figured I could download the
mail in my GMail store to my local client machine via my dialup ISP. I
have unfortunately not been able to receive a single mail from the GMail
store.

On Mozilla Mail I have created a secondary account and entered the POP
server settings as per the GMail suggestions for setting up other email
clients. I did not enter the GMail SMTP server details as I already have
my ISP's SMTP server added and figured it shouldn't need it.

On the GMail account though I am unsure about the 'Server settings'
check boxes. I have them all checked except for 'Check mail at startup'
and 'Empty trash on exit'. I also have 'Leave messages on server' unchecked.

What happens when I dialup and connect to my ISP and request GMail POP
download is that it contacts the server, requests my password, and then
tells me how many messages are waiting but then does not download any of
them. If I wait a few minutes and then request my GMail again, an error
message is returned saying that the folder is being processed and that I
should try later.

I also tried setting up a GMail filter to auto-forward the email but the filters don't work on mail already received. :(

How or where can I go to get the 600 emails that are waiting there to
download? I know it is not seemingly a direct SuSE problem, but I am
using 'SuSE' to view the email etc.

Appreciate any help
Hylton Conacher - Linux user # 229959 at http://counter.li.org
Currently using SuSE 9.0 Professional with KDE 3.1