Re: [SLE] Disable ARTS
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 17:25:05 +0200
On Sunday 29 May 2005 17:07, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 5/22/05, Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sunday 22 May 2005 20:41, John Bailo wrote:
> > > Someone told me that Arts is the cause of a lot of sound problems in
> > > Suse.
> >
> > Someone told you a half truth.
> >
> > > What is it?
> >
> > It is the KDE sound daemon. It is responsible for managing sound streams
> > and multiplexing them together. The problem some people have with it is
> > that it tends to hog the sound device. If you have a really old or cheap
> > card that can't handle multiple threads, it will tend to block non-arts
> > aware programs from producing sound. This is the only problem I'm aware
> > of, and if you have a reasonably new card it shouldn't be a problem at
> > all
> >
> > > Can it be disabled and yet have the OS produce sound?
> >
> > The OS doesn't produce sounds. KDE will not be able to produce sounds
> > anymore, but other programs will still work. But this is an extremely
> > unlikely source of your sound problems
>
> What do you mean by "KDE will not be able to produce sounds anymore"?

What I said. The core KDE stuff (making noises when you open windows etc) is
done through artsd. If you disable artsd, KDE won't be able to make those
noises.

> Will amarok and other music programs still work? I have all system
> sounds turned off. So, disabling arts may be exactly what I want.

Any program that is capable of producing sound through other means than artsd
will still be able to do that of course. noatun will not, it is highly
dependent on artsd. amarok can be configured to use other things, so that
will still work. Non-KDE programs will not be affected