Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 08:27:29 -0700
On Sunday 29 May 2005 5:14 am, Greg Wallace wrote:
> On Saturday, May 28, 2005 @ 7:23 AM, Scott Leighton wrote:
> >
> > No, that's not the way I understand it. It's passing the address of the
> >nameservers to your Linux box via DHCP, your Linux box then uses
> >those addresses for /etc/resolv.conf, so the end result is that your
> >Linux box gets its list of DNS servers from the Linksys, but after
> >that, it is simply resolving addresses using the servers that
> >were on the list, the Linksys isn't directly involved. The Linksys
> >isn't running a nameserver, it is only passing out the addresses
> >of nameservers.
> >
> > Scott
>
> That's the way it used to work (I'd see those ISP name server addresses in
> my Linux box). Once I overrode that to my Router IP address, that's the
> only address that showed up in Linux.

Well, I'd love to know what model Linksys router you are using. I
was unaware that any of them run a DNS server, but if you can
simply point /etc/resolv.conf to your router and get DNS services,
then the router must be running one.

Scott

--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
http://popfile.sourceforge.net/