Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 09:09:51 -0700
On Sunday 29 May 2005 8:58 am, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On Sunday 29 May 2005 11:27 am, Scott Leighton wrote:

> > > That's the way it used to work (I'd see those ISP name server addresses
> > > in my Linux box). Once I overrode that to my Router IP address, that's
> > > the only address that showed up in Linux.
> >
> > Well, I'd love to know what model Linksys router you are using. I
> > was unaware that any of them run a DNS server, but if you can
> > simply point /etc/resolv.conf to your router and get DNS services,
> > then the router must be running one.
>
> Really? 'Didn't know? ALL routers, no matter what make will hand out DNS
> addresses.....so will most HUBS. MANY HUBS will even do NAT. Most Linksys
> routers have a firmware firewall, which isn't a bad idea when 'Bloze might
> be on the inside of it.

I stand corrected. I guess I have no clue what is going on, if I change
the nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf to point to the Linksys at 192.168.1.1
it _does_ resolve.

helphand@helphand:~> dig suse.com
;; Query time: 386 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Sun May 29 09:07:19 2005
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 117

So apparently there is some magic going on that I don't grok.

Scott

--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
http://popfile.sourceforge.net/