Re: [SLE] cable modem
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 10:55:14 -0700
On Sunday 29 May 2005 9:09 am, Scott Leighton wrote:
> On Sunday 29 May 2005 8:58 am, Fred A. Miller wrote:

> > > Well, I'd love to know what model Linksys router you are using. I
> > > was unaware that any of them run a DNS server, but if you can
> > > simply point /etc/resolv.conf to your router and get DNS services,
> > > then the router must be running one.
> >
> > Really? 'Didn't know? ALL routers, no matter what make will hand out DNS
> > addresses.....so will most HUBS. MANY HUBS will even do NAT. Most Linksys
> > routers have a firmware firewall, which isn't a bad idea when 'Bloze
> > might be on the inside of it.
>
> I stand corrected. I guess I have no clue what is going on, if I change
> the nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf to point to the Linksys at 192.168.1.1
> it _does_ resolve.
>
> helphand@helphand:~> dig suse.com
> ;; Query time: 386 msec
> ;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
> ;; WHEN: Sun May 29 09:07:19 2005
> ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 117
>
> So apparently there is some magic going on that I don't grok.

Some googling reveals that many, but not all, of the
Linksys boxes can operate as a DNS proxy. Apparently
my BEFSR41 has that capability, which explains why
it magically seems to work when putting the router
address in /etc/resolv.conf

Note that some of those same google sources recommended
not doing so though. There were reports that the proxy
feature was buggy and could cause long delays in
DNS lookups.

Scott

--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
http://popfile.sourceforge.net/